- 10 mins
- 10 mins
- Serve 2
Mushroom Choila (Mushroom curry)
Traditionally, choila is made with buffalo meat, nowadays it can be made using various vegetables such as mushrooms, soya beans or tofu for vegetarian and vegan. So a mushroom choila is one of the best choices of food for vegetarian and vegan. It is easy to prepare and a quick recipe for a side dish. It is served with beaten-rice, rice, Samay baji sets or drinks. This dish is typically spicy, hot, delicious and full of flavour. We can use chilli powder or chilli flakes as we desire.
- 250 grams mushroom
- 1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup spring onions
- 1/2 tbsp chopped green chillies
- 2/4 tsp fenugreek seed
- 2/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2/4 chillies powder
- 2/4 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 2/4 tsp sichuan pepper (optional)
- 1 boiled tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- First of all, separate the mushroom and washed it with warm water.
- Drain water from the mushroom.
- Grind chopped garlic-ginger, tomato, and sichuan pepper to make a paste.
- Now heat mustard oil in a frying pan and add mushroom about 5 minutes.
- Add fried mushroom, chopped onions, spring onions salt,cumin-coriander powder and paste in a bowl. (see carousel image 2)
- Now heat mustard oil in the same frying pan and add fenugreek seeds.
- When fenugreek seeds turn dark black colour, switch off the heat and put turmeric and chopped green chillies to it.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl and mix it well. (see carousel image 3)
- Sprinkle coriander leaves for garnish (optional). (see carousel image 4)
- Serve with beaten rice, rice or drinks. (see carousel image 5)
- Frying pan
- Grill/non-stick pan/air-fryer
Where to buy?
You can easily buy spices at the department store, gorcey and Asian shops. Mustard oil is easily found in an Indian shop, Chinese shop, Amazon and eBay.
- Instead of mustard oil, you can use olive oil or sunflower oil. The reason behind using mustard oil gives you extra flavour.
- Better not to cook the mushroom on an aluminium pan since they have the tendency to turn mushrooms into black colour.
- You can add soya sauce for colour.
- You can make varieties of mushroom. Like a mushroom choila, you can make soybean choila as the same procedure but you need to boil a soybean in water until it gets soft.
For more receipes, please visit: NewariRecipesHut.com© 2021 ~ All rights reserved ~ Newari Recipes Hut