- 10 mins
- 30 mins
- Serve 4
Kwati (Beans sprout soup)
In Newari language, 'Kwa' means hot and 'ti' means soup. It is a soup prepared from a mixture of nine different types of sprouted beans (such as red kidney beans, soybeans, mung beans, black lentils, blacked eyed peas, chickpeas, cowpeas and green peas). It is a traditional Nepalese dish consumed during the festival of 'Gun Punhi' in Newari or 'Janai Purnima'. Janai Purnima is the full moon day of Gunla which is the tenth month in the Nepal Era calendar as well as in the first day of the month in Newari calendar. It signifies the end of the rainy season (Ashar-Shrawan) and the beginning of the winter season in Nepal. This super-nutritious soup is believed to cure common diseases like body pain, cold, etc. It's a perfect dish to rejuvenate your whole body and strengthen the immune system.
- 2 cups soaked and sprouted mixed beans of your choice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cumin and coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp black mustard seed
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tomato (optional)
- 1/4 chopped onions( optional)
- 1 tsp ajwain (carom seed)
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups of water
- spring onion or coriander for garnish
- Wash and soak mixed beans overnight or 10 hours before cooking. For Sprout, cover the mixed beans in water for 1 day and drain the water the next day. Cover the soaked mixed beans in a container with a lid. (see carousel images 2 and 3)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds, ajwain, black mustard seeds until it turns light brown.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add the ginger-garlic paste and onion. Stir the mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the mixed beans, green chillies, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. (see carousel image 4)
- Add chopped tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes. (see carousel image 5)
- Then add water and close the lid. (see carousel image 6)
- Cook it for 20-25 minutes and let it simmer in low heat until the beans sprouts are tender.
- Release the steam and check if the mixed beans are cooked and are tender. Add some water if it is necessary and boil it for a few minutes until you are satisfied.
- Garnish with spring onion or coriander.
- Ready to serve with rice. (see carousel image 7)
- Pressure cooker
Where to buy?
You can easily buy spices at the department store, grocery or Indian shop. You can buy separate beans or mixed beans from Indian or Chinese shop. It can also be bought from Amazon or eBay.
- You can add up or subtract type of beans.
- If you couldn’t find cow beans, soybeans, you can use split yellow gram, chana daal and many more nutritious legume.
- In the winter, it might take additional 1-2 days for beans to sprout.
- You can refrigerate the sprouted spare beans in a freezer bag or container for a month.
- If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can use a crockpot or instant pot for cooking.
For more receipes, please visit: NewariRecipesHut.com© 2021 ~ All rights reserved ~ Newari Recipes Hut