- 15 mins
- 20 mins
- Serve 4
Chatamari (Newari Pizza)
Chatamari is a traditional food among Newari people. It is also a popular food among Nepalese communities. It looks like a rice crepe or pizza. Chatamari is also widely known as Newari pizza.
Chatamari is a round bread made of rice flour with toppings of minced meat like buffalo or chicken along with onions, coriander leaves and eggs. It can be prepared as a plain crepe with the topping of sugar or made with a combination of different vegetables for vegetarian and vegan. So, Chatamari can be a great dish for vegetarian and vegan.
- 2 cup of rice flour
- 3/4 cup of water
- 250 gram minced meat (chicken/turkey/lamb/buffalo)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp green diced chilli
- 1 tbsp green peas
- 1 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- 2 tsp cumin and coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp meat masala/curry powder
- 1 tablespoon oil per Chatamari
- Salt to taste
- Mix rice flour with water until we see a thin batter in a bowl. Keep in mind it should not be too runny. Add water slowly if needed. (see carousel image 2)
- In another bowl, mix meat with coriander, garlic and ginger paste, cumin and powder, turmeric powder, paprika powder, meat masala and salt. (see carousel image 3)
- Heat 1 tbsp spoon over medium-high heat in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, pour the thin batter like a pancake with a ladle and cook for 3-5 seconds. (see carousel image 5)
- Add a portion of the other mixtures on top. (see carousel image 6)
- Sprinkle onion, tomato, coriander, green chilli and the egg yolk on the top. (see carousel image 7)
- Then cover it with a lid on a low flame. Cook it for 3 to 4 mins. Make sure the egg is cooked to the desired consistency. Take it out from the spatula once you are happy with it.
- Chatamari is ready to serve, cut it like a pizza and enjoy. (see carousel image 8)
- Non-stick pan with lid
- Two Bowls
Where to buy?
You can buy spices at the department store, grocery and Indian shop. You can also buy rice flour, meat masala or curry powder on Amazon and eBay.
- Use non-stick pan rather than the normal pan.
- A batter might be thick after few minutes so keep stirring from time to time and add more water if needed.
- Instead of meat masala, you can use garam masala or curry powder.
- You can also make plain Charamati that looks like a crepe with a pinch of salt or sugar.
- For Vegetarians, you can use a variety of vegetables depending upon your choice instead of meat. If you can not obtain rice flour from the shop, you can grind the normal rice to create your own rice flour.
For more receipes, please visit: NewariRecipesHut.com© 2021 ~ All rights reserved ~ Newari Recipes Hut