- 15 mins
- 15 mins
- Serve 4
Chicken Haku Choila (Grilled chicken salad)
Chicken Haku Choila is one of the most popular Newari dishes in Nepal. Traditionally, it is made with buffalo meat but it increasingly popular with chicken, mutton and duck meat. It is also made with mushroom for vegetarians. Traditionally, the meat is cooked over the fire but it can be cooked over a grill for the smoky flavour at home. It is served with rice, beaten rice or drinks. It is one of the important side dishes in Samay baji set. It is typically very spicy and hot but you can use chilli powder as you desire.
- 450 grams of chicken boneless thighs
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic-ginger paste
- Few sliced garlic and ginger
- 1/2 lemon or 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1-2 green sliced chillies
- 1/8 cup chopped spring onions
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder to taste
- 2-3 tsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Grill boneless chicken thighs or heat the non-stick frying pan and saute it until cooked or put it into air-fryer about 15 mins at 180 c.
- Once it is cooked nicely, cut the chicken into small pieces and put them in a bowl. (see carousel image 2)
- Add cumin powder, chilli powder, paprika, garlic-ginger paste, chopped garlic and ginger, chopped tomatoes, spring onion and lemon in a bowl and mix well. (see carousel image 3)
- Now heat mustard oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds. (see carousel image 4)
- When fenugreek seeds turn dark black in colour, switch off the heat and put turmeric and sliced green chillies to it. (see carousel image 5)
- Pour the mixture into the bowl and mix it well. (see carousel image 6)
- Sprinkle fresh coriander for garnish.
- Serve it with beaten rice, rice or drinks. (see carousel image 7)
- Grill/Non-stick pan/Air-fryer
Where to buy?
You can easily buy spices at the department store, grocery and Asian shop. Mustard oil is easily found in an Indian or Chinese shop. It can be bought from Amazon or eBay as well.
- You can also add Sichuan pepper and black pepper for an extra peppery flavour. It can be bought in a Chinese shop, Indian shop, Amazon and eBay.
- Instead of mustard oil, you can use olive or sunflower oil. The reason behind using mustard oil gives you an authentic flavour.
- Instead of a grilled chicken, it can be boiled for 12 mins before cutting it into the small pieces.
For more receipes, please visit: NewariRecipesHut.com© 2021 ~ All rights reserved ~ Newari Recipes Hut