- 20 mins
- 15 mins
- Serve 10
Nimki (Deep-fried flour crackers )
Nimki is a crunchy diamond-shaped snack which can be served with hot beverages like tea or coffee. It is deep-fried flour tortilla strips with cumin and ajwain (caraway seeds). Combination of kalonji and ajwain can be used. It can be stored for up to a month to consume at later date.
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds or less as desired
- 1/2 tsp ajwain (caraway seeds) or less as desired
- 1 tsp salt per your taste
- 4 tsp cooking oil or ghee(clarified butter) for paste
- 3/4 cup water or as required
- 2 cups cooking oil for frying
- Roast the cumin seeds and ajwain in low heat for 3 mins but make sure it doesn’t burn.
- In a large bowl, add flour, salt, roasted cumin seeds, ajwain and the ghee.
- Add water and knead well to make a soft dough.
- Once kneaded, cover the dough and put it aside to rest for 10 mins or more for best results. (see carousel image 2)
- Roll the dough to make an elongated shaped dough. (see carousel image 3)
- Divide the dough into equal-sized balls. (see carousel image 4)
- Take a dough ball on a rolling board and roll it into a round shape.
- Cut the dough in a diamond-shaped with a knife or pizza cutter. (see carousel image 5)
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat. When it’s hot, bring the flame to medium-low.
- Fry the Nimki until they are golden brown, drain excess oil in a paper towel. (see carousel image 6)
- Serve it with a hot beverage. (see carousel image 7)
- Deep frying pan
- Slotted spoon
- Chopping board/rolling board
- Pizza cutter/knife
Where to buy?
You can buy the spices at the department store, grocery and Indian shop. Ghee(clarified butter) can be found in an Indian shop, eBay or Amazon.
- You can store cooked Nimki in an airtight container for up to a month.
- You can make ghee (clarified butter) from unsalted butter.
For more receipes, please visit: NewariRecipesHut.com© 2021 ~ All rights reserved ~ Newari Recipes Hut