- 10 mins
- 20 mins
- Serve 4
Gwaramari (Round puffy bread)
Gwaramari is a Newari breakfast which is served hot with tea or coffee. It is crunchy outside but puffy and soft inside. 'Gwara' means round and 'Mari' means bread, hence the name Gwaramari for "round-bread" This is a popular breakfast in Kathmandu valley. It is made with a combination of flour, baking powder, turmeric powder, salt and sugar.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 250 ml (1/2) cup water
- 500ml oil (for deep-frying)
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and turmeric powder in a bowl. (see carousel image 2)
- Add water slowly and stir it continuously, until the flour becomes a thick paste but runny. (see carousel image 3)
- Cover the paste with plastic wrap for at least two hours. If you have time, keep it overnight for the best result.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan.
- When the oil is hot, take 1 and a half tbsp of the dough and make a small ball.
- Cook it gently on the heated pan for 2 minutes on each side until it is golden brown and crisp on the outside. (see carousel image 4)
- Take it out with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Now it is ready to serve with tea. Consume warm for better taste. (see carousel image 5)
- Deep pan
- Slotted spoon
Where to buy?
You can easily buy the ingredients at the department store, grocery or at Indian shop.
- Best to keep a thick paste for overnight.
- Carefully place dough on a heated deep pan to avoid oil burn.
For more receipes, please visit: NewariRecipesHut.com© 2021 ~ All rights reserved ~ Newari Recipes Hut