- 20 mins
- 15 mins
- Serve 6
Fini Roti (Deep-fried multi-layer flatbread)
Fini Roti is a crispy bread specially made during the festival of Tihar. It is offered to the goddess Laxmi during this festival. It is also made on other special occasions like weddings.
It is made of four ingredients. The fini-roti is light and tastes delicious hence has become very popular in Nepal.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of rice flour
- 4 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- Water for Kneading as required
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup powder sugar(optional)
- Oil for deep frying
- In a bowl, add flour, 2tbsp ghee and salt. Then mix it well.
- Add limited water at a time by kneading well to make a soft dough. Once ready cover it and put it aside to rest for 15 mins.
- In another bowl, add rice flour and 2 tbsp ghee. Then mix it well to make a paste called satho (to create the layers in the Fini later).
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin and flatten it out in a long rectangular shape.
- Cut all the corner ends with a knife to straighten it up.
- Spread satho evenly over the flatten dough which helps to create multiple layers in Fini. (see carousel image 2)
- The satho placed on flattened dough is gently rolled from one corner to the other.
- The rolled dough is then cut in the middle.
- If the rolled dough is thick. It can be thinned with the hand to form an elongated shape. Then it cut into small equal pieces. (see carousel image 3)
- Flatten these dough pieces and roll out each dough pieces with a rolling pin. Make 2-3 lines in the middle of the flattened dough using a knife. (see carousel image 4)
- Heat the oil, once it is hot, fry it for at least 2-3 mins on a medium to low heat until it becomes crisp. Make sure the colour doesn’t turn brown. (see carousel image 5)
- If you like sweet Fini-roti, sprinkle powdered sugar on both sides of the Fini while it is still hot. (Please note, this is optional and entirely up to your taste. Traditional Fini-roti is not sweet.)
- We can serve it hot, warm or cold. It can be stored in an airtight container for a few days after it cools down. (see carousel image 6)
- Deep frying pan
- Slotted spoon
- Chopping board/rolling board
- Rolling pin
Where to buy?
You can easily buy all-purpose flour, salt, and sugar from the department store, grocery or an Asian shop. Ghee(clarified butter) and rice flour are easily found in an Asian shop.
- You can store Fini in an airtight container for a few days.
- You can make ghee from unsalted butter.
- You can make rice flour from rice. Soak the required amount for the whole night and dry it for a while in the morning and then grind it.
- You can filter rice flour with the help of sieve for fine rice flour.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder on both sides of the Fini while it is hot for a lovely flavour.
For more receipes, please visit: NewariRecipesHut.com© 2021 ~ All rights reserved ~ Newari Recipes Hut