- 15 mins
- 15 mins
- Serve 4
Bara (Newari Pancake)
Bara is a Newari snack. It is commonly known as 'Wo' in Newari language. This traditional food among Newari people symbolises good luck during festivals, birthdays, weddings and other occasions.
In appearance, it looks like a savoury rice-flour pancake. It is served with Newari drinks like 'Aila' and 'Chayang'. It is made from lentils paste after it is mixed with garlic ginger, turmeric and salt. It can be eaten with eggs or minced meat on the top.
- 2 cups petite yellow lentils (split moong lentils)
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup oil (for cooking)
- Salt to taste
- Soak lentils in a large bowl of water overnight.
- Grind it finely next day.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of water to make smooth batter if needed. It shouldn’t be in the liquid form or very thick.
- Once the batter is ready, add salt, turmeric, garlic and ginger paste. (see carousel image 2)
- Whisk it for a couple of minutes.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan or cast-iron pan.
- Slowly pour the paste into the pan and spread it to make a circle shape with the spatula. Or, add some oil on your palm, take some paste in your palm and make it into a circle before putting it into the hot oil. (see carousel image 3)
- When one side turns a bit brown, turn over to the other side.
- When both sides are brown it is ready.
- Serve hot with a drink. (see carousel image 4)
- Non-stick pan or cast iron pan
- A Bowl
Where to buy?
You can buy spices at the department store, grocery and Indian shops. Split moong lentils can be easily found in an Indian shop, Amazon, Chinese shop or eBay.
- It is better to store the lentils mixture in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to allow flavours to fuse.
- You can add an egg topping or minced meat with egg topping or whatever you desire.
- For a more traditional taste, you can use mustard oil.
- For added flavour, you can add asafoetida and cumin powder.
For more receipes, please visit: NewariRecipesHut.com© 2021 ~ All rights reserved ~ Newari Recipes Hut